Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Great Fenway Park- A Special Place

Do you have places that are special to you?  We all do.  It's fun to think about what they are and why they are special.  I have special local places such as Greensboro War Memorial Stadium (I grew up a block from there), my church, where I am a 55-year continuous member, the place I went to school grades 1-9, the campus of Elon University, etc.

The great Fenway Park in Boston is also a very special place to me.  Fenway is a mecca for those who love baseball.  It was built in 1912 and appears today as it did 100 years ago.  I was there the first time with my first girlfriend who was from New England.  I was there as a young baseball player in the Cape Cod League.  I was there with my son a couple of times, once on a baseball tour and once during a great Boston / Cape Cod trip.  I was there many times with work associates when I was a John Hancock company employee.  All of those experiences elicit wonderful memories. 

Being around Fenway Park in the great American city of Boston, taking in the sights and sounds around the park, watching the vendors, visiting the souvenir shops, smelling the Italian sausages with peppers and onions, visiting The Boston Beer Works micro brew across from the front gate, watching the scalpers and hustlers work, seeing the old Irish guys who've been going to games for 60+ years (and talking with one if you're lucky), make it a just a wondrous, sensuous, magnificent baseball / Americana experience. Get there early, my friend, get there early.

I'll do it again soon, trust me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers