Monday, January 18, 2010

Woolworth's Manager "Curly" Harris, In His Own Words




http://www.sitins.com/curlyharris.shtml

Clarence "Curly" Harris was Manager of F. W. Woolworths, Greensboro, NC, on February 1, 1960. He was a dear friend and a good man. He once told me, "Bob, I had three choices. I could have requested they be arrested, I could let them sit unserved, or I could have served them. "Curly" chose the middle ground. Eventually he served them (not the original four, but black students who came when school at A&T resumed in September). I think history judges that the objective of the students, which was good, noble, right and proper, was very well served, and order and peace was maintained in the city. There were never any fire hoses, dogs, or "Bull" Connors in Greensboro. I believe"Curly" grew to the ripe old age of 97, knowing that, with help of his God, he did the best he knew how to do. See link above. (The comments of then Mayor Roach here are not consistent with what "Curly" related to me).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers