Saturday, November 2, 2013

Racial Segregation - The Absurdity and The 'Wrongness'

Anacostia High students at Griffith Stadium praying that the school wouldn't be integrated, c. 1954 [Washington Star photo].

I never cease to be amazed at how wrong we were.  How could we have been so completely on the wrong side of history and on the wrong side of that which was right? 

Progress has, of course, been made, but America has not gotten over race.  In so many areas and around so many issues, race continues to be the 'elephant in the room' in America.  The issue of civil rights in America is probably the most significant and engaging issue of the past century.

For me, it is amazing and beautiful that we have had a black President of the United States.  But the issue of ethnicity, race, and related issues such as immigration, will continue to confound us. 

Above, they pray for segregation.  I would pray for clarity, reconciliation, cooperation among all God's brothers and sisters.

1 comment:

  1. After all these years I finally read Dr. King's Letter from a Birmingham Jail which he addressed to about a dozen leading clergymen. His style of writing reminded me of Paul (Saul of Tarsus) in 1 Corinthians13 written around 55CE. Paul was also in jail (house arrest) in Rome.
    Dr. King concluded his letter:
    Never before have I written a letter this long -- or should I say a book? I’m afraid that it is much too long to take your precious time. I can assure you that it would have been much shorter if I had been writing from a comfortable desk, but what else is there
    to do when you are alone for days in the dull monotony of a narrow jail cell other than write long letters, think strange thoughts, and pray long prayers?

    If I have said anything in this letter that is an understatement of the truth and is indicative of an unreasonable impatience, I beg you to forgive me. If I have said anything in this letter that is an overstatement of the truth and is indicative of my having a patience that makes me patient with anything less than brotherhood. I beg God to forgive me.

    Yours for the cause of Peace and Brotherhood.
    MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers