Saturday, June 19, 2010

"The Parting Glass" - Old Irish Folk Song



"The Parting Glass" is an Irish traditional folk song, often sung at the end of a gathering of friends. It was allegedly the most popular song sung in both Scotland and Ireland before Robert Burns wrote "Auld Lang Syne". It is said to have been written prior to 1770.

The Parting Glass

O, I spent the money e'er I had,
I spent it in good company.
And all the harm that ever I've done,
alas it was to none but me.
And all I've done for want of wit
to mem'ry now I can't recall;
So fill to me the parting glass,
Good night and joy be with you all.

O, all the comrades e'er I had,
They're sorry for my going away.
And all the sweethearts e'er I had,
They'd wished me one more day to stay.
But since it falls unto my lot,
That I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call,
Good night and joy be with you all.

If I had memory enough to spend,
And leisure time to sit awhile.
There is a fair maid in this town,
That sorely has my heart beguiled.
Her rosy cheeked and ruby lips,
I own, she has my heart in thrall;
Then fill to me the parting glass,
Good night and joy with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers