Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Life@Elon............Still

Sometimes I feel as though I am age 18 again on the Elon campus, especially on beautiful North Carolina Spring days like today.  I actually was age 18 as a student on the Elon campus, almost 50 years ago.  Now I am there participating in a wonderful Life@Elon learning community for adults over age 50.

Today, as on many days, I took a long walk on the picturesque campus before class.  Sometimes I have coffee and read my Nook at the Elon Coffee Shop on main street. Often I browse through books and look for sales in the Barnes and Noble campus shop just off campus. I can be caught catching a glimpse at baseball practice, where I spent many days those many years ago.

Today our Life@Elon class was about gaining a better understanding of current events in the Middle East. The class was conducted by campus minister Rev. Dr. Jan Fuller, a Yale Divinity graduate and long-time resident of the Lebanon, and Rev. Dr. Ron Shive, Senior Pastor at First Presbyterian Church of Burlington. Their concise and clear outline of the foundation and history of the Israeli / Palestinian conflict, along with a brief history of Islam, was outstanding and informative.  They ended by proposing ways Americans might become engaged to become helpful. I feel much more informed about an area critical to world peace, understanding, and coexistence.

This Thursday members of our learning community will be provided the opportunity to see and hear the famous and popular Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.  He currently hosts a popular science television program, in addition to being a great spokesman and proponent of climate change and it's impact, which is an area of great concern and interest to me. 

I am fortunate to be part of this a great Elon University adult learning community. Elon has been important in my life, and as I approach age 67, it continues to be.  How wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers